Honor the Sanctity of Human Life
Established in 1984 via presidential proclamation, this day is an opportunity for us as members of the Body of Christ to thank God for his creation.
Here’s an excerpt from the proclamation:
“The values and freedoms we cherish as Americans rest on our fundamental commitment to the sanctity of human life. The first of the ‘unalienable rights” affirmed by our Declaration of Independence is the right to life itself, a right the Declaration states has been endowed by our Creator on all human beings – whether young or old, weak or strong, healthy or handicapped.”
Read the full proclamation here. Sanctity of Human Life (SOHL) Sunday is nationally recognized on the Sunday in January closest to the original proclamation date of the 22nd, falling next on January 17, 2021.
Your work to uphold the sanctity of human life has a physical, emotional and spiritual impact on your community and demonstrates that each life has value and is loved by Jesus Christ. It is important that we proclaim this truth and come together as the body of Christ to honor the sanctity of each human life.
Your church can help by recognizing Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. Free digital flyers, bulletin inserts and posters are available in English and Spanish below for your church or group to download or order.
SOHL Digital Fliers:
These can be used on your church’s/organization’s website or for emails.
SOHL Bulletin Inserts (5.5 x 8.5):
You can download bulletin inserts here or request materials to be mailed to you.
SOHL Posters (11 x 17):
You can download posters here or request materials to be mailed to you.
There are many ways to uphold the value of human life year-round and throughout your day to day activities:
- Join us for the Sanctity of Human Life Prayer Rally in person or online January 16, 2021
- Participate in the AZ for Life Rally in January 2022
- Share life affirming scriptures, such as Psalm 127:3, Psalm 139 and John 10:10
- Learn how to advocate for the unborn child by reading books and articles
- Pray for pregnancy resource centers
- Support a pregnancy center financially and with material donations
- Show grace to a mom who finds herself in an unplanned pregnancy
- Donate gently used clothing and household items to a local pregnancy or resource center
- Host a Baby Bottle Campaign with your church or group – your change can change a life!
- Volunteer at your local pregnancy center to help women, children and families in need
- Consider becoming a foster or adoptive parent
- Provide respite care for a foster family
- Share about the orphan crisis in Arizona and the need for foster families
- Volunteer at an assisted living center or nursing home, or simply visit and listen to the resident’s stories
- Ask your pastor if your church has an older adult ministry and find out how you can help, or start one
- Serve an elderly individual in your neighborhood or church
- Provide respite care for the parents of a special needs child
- Pay for a disabled child to go to summer camp or participate in camp or another fun activity